The Virginia V
The SS Virginia V is the last operational steamship from the Puget Sound’s famed “Mosquito Fleet.” This was the precursor to today’s current, state run, ferry system used to transport people and cars around western Washington State. Today, the SS Virginia V is owned and operated by the non-profit Steamer Virginia V Foundation. She is one of only two wooden Coast Guard inspected steamboats in the country. Run entirely by volunteers, she does about 50 trips a year based out of Seattle. Built in 1922, the SS Virginia V is 125 feet long, weighs 150 tons, and has a 400 horsepower triple expansion steam engine.
Captain Dale Pederson
Chief Engineer Alan Graves
Deckhand Ed Brown
Operations Director Heron Scott